Who We Are
You may have heard us referred to as Greek Orthodox or Eastern Orthodox. We are the original Christian Church of Jerusalem, the Holy Land, Greece, Asia, Africa and the Slavic countries. Our history in North America goes back to 1794 when Orthodox missionaries first arrived to minister to the Native Peoples of Alaska.
We believe that God is not an angry and vengeful judge anxious to destroy sinners. Rather, He is the loving and eternally merciful God who created the universe and called it “good.” He made mankind in His own image and likeness for a life of joyful communion with Him. Despite our failings, sins and mistakes, He never ceases to love and freely offer His mercy, forgiveness and grace.
The Word of God became man, the carpenter Jesus of Nazareth, and revealed Himself to us as the Way, the Truth and the Life. By His death on the cross, He destroyed the power of death, hell and the devil. And by His glorious Resurrection He arose victorious over every foe and power, offering to us participation in His very life. Jesus Christ founded His Church to be His body on earth as a fellowship of healing, teaching and communion. The Church is a hospital for healing the sick, the wounded and the weak.
St. George Orthodox Church was established in 1926 and ministers to Orthodox Christians of a great diversity of backgrounds. We are united in our common Faith. At St. George’s, first and foremost, we worship together in the confidence that our Lord Jesus Christ is invisibly present with us, as He promised.
We also study the Faith together in the children’s church school programs and in various adult study groups. We work together on various ministries, ranging from our charity ministry to youth ministry to building maintenance. Finally, but also very important, we enjoy fellowship with one another.
We are a parish of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America
Matins: Sun 8:50am
Divine Liturgy: Sun 10:00am
Vespers: Wed 6:30pm
Great Vespers: Sat 5:00pm
Saints Feasts & Readings
© 2018 St. George Orthodox Christian Church